Blue Owl Brewing has an opening for a creative, unique quality control/cellarperson in Austin, Texas. We are 30 bbl, all sour production brewery with tasting room. No explicit brewery experience is necessary, but the applicant would require a strong science and/or mechanical background and desire to get into the industry. A cellarperson’s duties range from managing fermentation to cleaning/sanitizing fermenters, packaging finished beer t mopping the floor. The quality control aspect of the position will grow with time as the applicant becomes more familiar with the basic duties.
Job responsibilities include:
· Raw materials: Assessment, organization, management, and inventory
· Fermentation: From pitch-to-package, monitor, adjust, and troubleshoot wort/beer in fermenter with all technical considerations given to low pH fermentation.
· Barrel program: Filling, emptying, and sampling as needed
· Bright beer: Transfer of finished beer, carbonation testing, and quality assurance with attention to low DO pick up.
· Packaging: We can our sour beer using a Wild Goose 2-head filler with the hopes of moving to a 4-head in 2020.
· CIP Operations: Cleaning/Sanitizing of fermentation vessels, bright tanks, kegs, and brewing equipment using industry best practices.
· Weekly Breakdown: A typical work-week will include 3 days in the cellar racking, cleaning, and beer additions as well as 2 days packaging and organizing.
Required experience and abilities:
· Relevant cellaring experience preferred or strong science and/or mechanical background
· Brewing-related certification or degree is a plus
· Self-management and accountability are crucial in this environment where it’s a small team, leanly operating.
· Must be able/willing to stand, crouch, and work in environments that may be loud, wet, hot or cold
· QA/QC background is a plus
The position is a full time, hourly position with compensation commensurate of experience. Benefits include up to 3 weeks of accumulated PTO, educational opportunities, and working with one of the most creative and hard-working brewing teams.
We are an equal opportunity employer. To apply please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org